TIN CIGARETTE BOX
This tin cigarette box reads “Best Egyptian Cigarettes 100 No. 9 M. Melachrino & Co. Cairo (Egypt), New York, Montreal" and has a cancelled tax stamp from August, 1909, as was the order of the day. The Melachrino tobacco company was located at 247 West 47th St., New York, now the location of "Buffalo Wild Wings" restaurant, adjacent to the current Barrymore Theater. The black on white ad in the photo section of this entry is from "United States Tobacco Journal, December 11, 1909."
Another fun reference to this product comes from “The Pharmaceutical Era, 1912." The headline is “M. Melachrino & Co., New Package An Innovation." The citation reads: “The above company, address 214 W. 47th street, is now putting out their No. 9 Egyptian cigarettes in packages of 20’s retailing at 25 cents. This innovation is in addition to the company’s original packages of 10’s, 50’s and 100’s.”